Mary DeCaro

Monday, February 28, 2011

Our house in a disaster.

I haven't blogged in months, but after all the mess that happened a little over three weeks ago, I just have to do it!

I woke up one morning at 4:45 AM hearing an awfully loud noise and I thought, "Is that the furnace or the refrigerator?" Well, when I walked toward the kitchen the noise was so horribly loud and I saw water pouring out of the cabinet under the kitchen sink and "Oh my goodness" the kitchen floor had about 2 inches of water on the floor, plus it went into the carpeting of the Family room, Dining room and Living room.

I was devastated! I woke Al up, and not knowing what to do or who to call at that time, I called our dear neighbors across the street. I know I would wake them up but I didn't know what else to do or who to call. When Lena answered the phone, I apologized for waking her up and told her what happened.
She said she would have Merlen, her husband, come over. Within minutes he was here and when he saw the mess, he went outside and turned off the water faucet that is in a large compartment against our Mobile Home on our driveway. Thank God he knew what to do, bless his heart! Al nor I would have known about shutting off the water outside. What actually happened was that the faucet under the sink burst. Merlen came back in, removed the broken faucet under the sink and later went out and bought a new one to replace it.

When we told Tony and Lucy about what happened, Lucy called our Insurance Company and they had a Company by the name of "Service Masters"'
that came to soak up all the water and they drilled holes all around the baseboards in the Kitchen, Living room, Dining room, Family room and also in the Laundry room, plus they had 14 huge fans all over the house with hoses going into all the holes to dry everything up under the floors, plus a whole mess of hoses on the kitchen floor which made it very difficult for me to walk in there with all the pain and swelling I’m having on my feet from the "neuropathy".
And they had a HUGE BLOWER outside on the driveway drying the floors from underneath the house and I can't begin to talk about the horrible noise all those blowers were making, both inside and outside.

This went on for almost a week and when they finally removed them, they came to replace all the baseboards and put new padding under the carpeting. They brought a stack of linoleum samples to choose from and thanks to our daughter in law Lucy for being here, she helped pick a very nice one. They put it in and it looks so nice, I actually like it better than the one we had before. Thanks Lucy!

All the furniture was put into the Living room and it looks like a mess! They had to remove all the wet padding under the carpeting and tore out the linoleum in the kitchen. There are a few things that still have to be done, along with shampooing some of the carpeting and refinishing the mess the water made on the cabinet under the sink. Hopefully it will soon be back in order and the clutter and mess will be over with. What a FIASCO !

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home